There are two main pieces to the York County budget: The County side and the School Division side, and they are both split into two parts: operations and a Capital Improvements.
Good starting points are:
- YC current agenda and links to meeting archives: http://www.yorkcounty.gov/CountyGovernment/BoardofSupervisors/Agenda-Current.aspx
- YC budgeting main page: http://www.yorkcounty.gov/CountyGovernment/Finance/Budget.aspx
- YC Budget FY2017 presentations: http://www.yorkcounty.gov/CountyGovernment/Finance/Budget/FY2017Budget.aspx
- YC May 1 Revenue Outlook presentation: http://www.yorkcounty.gov/Portals/0/bfr/For%20website%20-%20Overview%20of%20Multi-year%20Revenues%20and%20Expenses.pdf?ver=2016-03-02-155834-230 (See slides 56 and 53)
- YC FY2017 proposed budget: Budget and CIP
- YCSD budget page: http://yorkcountyschools.org/aboutUs/budget/
- YCSD Budget calendar: http://yorkcountyschools.org/aboutUs/budget/calendar.aspx
- YCSD Board meetings: http://yorkcountyschools.org/aboutUs/schoolBoard/meetings.aspx
- YCSD School Board Newsletters: bottom of http://yorkcountyschools.org/aboutUs/schoolBoard/default.aspx
- Free/Reduced Lunch stats: http://doe.virginia.gov/support/nutrition/statistics/free_reduced_eligibility/2015-2016/schools/frpe_sch_report_sy2015-16.pdf
I looked at these to find out how York County is spending money and making decisions.